Friday, November 15, 2013

Thanksgiving Prep Continues

,

I began my Thanksgiving prep about a month ago making cranberry sauce one Saturday evening. The next step was beginning to work on my make ahead side dishes. This weekend, it's corn chowder. I wasn't sure what to expect. The last time I tried corn chowder was in Lancaster County during the corn harvest season this year. I tried it at a great local chain called Issac's Deli. Check it out if you're ever visiting the Harrisburg/Lancaster area. Besides their grilled sandwiches, they serve a dish of pickled veggies as well as a variety of pickles with your meal. I usually go through two servings- that's how yummy it is.

Anyhow, back to my chowder cooking experience. I pulled the recipe from Betty Crocker and only needed to pick up the corn and milk- I had the remaining ingredients in the house... or so I thought. At the checkout, instead of reviewing the ingredients on my phone, I ran into my friend who works at the store. He doesn't drive and it was a cold night so I gave him a ride home. Then, when I got home, and began prepping the veggies, I realized I forgot the bacon. Yes bacon lovers, I forget. However I carried on making the chowder without it. I substituted a 1/2 stick of unsalted butter and added garlic for flavor. The whole cooking process took 20 minutes to cook and 10 minutes of prep, which makes this a great quick meal to try during the week. But don't forget the bacon, I think that's where the version I photographed above is missing a depth of flavor.

The chowder now has a subtle flavor which I've enhanced with coriander and thyme. I love the smell of coriander and add it to a lot of my dishes. I don't know why I wasn't aware, until I found the hyperlinked article above, that cilantro and coriander are relatives. Once the coriander hits your dish, another level of flavor comes out and your dish is even more delightful. Try it this fall/winter season and let me know what you think.


No comments: