Wednesday, February 13, 2008

True Love is Being a Yankees Fan

With only one more day left before Spring Training begins down in FL for the Yankees '08 and it being the day before V_day, here are my thoughts on true love:

1. True love does mean having to say you're sorry.
2. True love means that you are accepted for your flaws and fabulousness
3. True love means knowing when to speak and when to shut up
4. True love means having the best interest of your beloved at heart.
5. True love means giving more love than you take.
6. True love means that you feel the fear and do it anyway.
7. True love means that when you feel taking your beloved for granted, you don't.
8. True love means leaving Post-Its or texts for your beloved if you don't see eachother a lot.
9. True love means picking dirty clothes off the floor and putting your beloved's stuff (keys, shoes) in a place where s/he can find it again.
10. True love means not being afraid to love.

While I've never actually had a dream or a fantasy of the type of guy I'd like to marry someday, this list is what I think makes a long-term relationship work. Basically it boils down to acceptance and self-less acts of love. What I used to be afraid of most is someone abandoning me when I truly needed him. When that happened to me a year ago, I was a mess for a couple days. Quickly I waked up and realized I could move on and grow as a person.
Now I accept that at some point, everyone we love is going to abandon us when we need them. While I would not say that death is abandonment, it's still pretty permanent.

As I'm dealing with the imminent death of my last grandparent, I realize that what I have to remember Gram. The memories of all the cultural excursions to museums, which later fostered my love of art history. The memories of baking cookies or having tea in her kitchen made me a Food Network addict and has fostered my daydream of someday making cupcakes for a humble living :).

Finally, let me wrap up this entry with addressing its heading. I've been a Yankee fan since I was in utero. I only get to about one game a year but I do what I can to support my Bronx Bombers. While they haven't had the best season as of late and former Yankees are getting dragged into court over the steroid scandal, I will always heart my Yankees.

No comments: