Monday, February 04, 2008

Defining Karma

I'm feeling a little unsure if my disdain for Tom Brady's personal life choices is justified. I thought that his loss last night in the SuperBowl was karma coming back to him for ditching his pregnant girlfriend. But as I looked into the specifics of both what karma is (and is not), I concluded that:
1. Their breakup and the pregnancy announcement thereafter may not be related
2. Karma has nothing to do with revenge, retribution or punishment. It is simply a sum of what an individual has done, is doing at present, and will do in their future.

The Giants victory last night was simply a tremendous effort that paid off. In what little I know about football (Friday Night Lights, mostly), it seems that no matter how much you practice when you get to the game of your life like a Super Bowl when there's thousands of people in your space and a camera every where you go, it's any wonder you can play well with all that distraction. The last quarter was where all the action happened, and from what I remember of past Super Bowls, that's usually when it all happens. Thirty seconds turns into five minutes of play time and that perfectly executed toss from the QB to the guy who catches it in the end zone is truly a miracle to watch. Plus even though he's engaged, I still heart Eli Manning.

No comments: