Friday, November 29, 2013

Thanksgiving Plan Executed

My guy and I are laying low today on "Black Friday". I've spent the last five days prepping for Thanksgiving while having a hectic week at work. I spent 75% of my prep time on my turkey. I definitely OBSESSED about getting the turkey just right. My obsession even involved a call on Monday night to my friend in the Midwest whose guy is a trained chef. Even though my mom assured me the turkey would indeed defrost in time, I was really nervous 24 hours into the defrost process that it wouldn't be ready for seasoning by Tuesday night.

I called 1-800-CHEFRIEND (yes I know I'm 2 digits over a REAL #), to get advice. He recommended I run the bird under running water for 30 minutes. About 10 minutes in, I made a rookie mistake- I went to WASH my hair. When I came back another 10 minutes later, the SINK was overflowing! I should've run the water at half the rate I did and prop the bird up so it didn't cover the drain. After a lot of towels and a fresh floor, I had a softened bird.

Cue to the next day... around midnight on Tuesday, it was time to set up the brining bucket. I cleaned out the largest bucket that could fit in my fridge, then lined it with plastic to make it easier to pull the bird out later. I barely had enough salt to make it work (mental note: remember to actually have  two + cups of salt next time). Wednesday morning came quickly. I greeted my plumbed up bird, patted it dry and left it to drain in the fridge on a cookie sheet with cookie rack on top to hold the bird and allow drainage. At this point in the prep process, I would greet the bird like a little kiddo every time I opened the fridge: "Hi little turkey, love you," much to my husband's amusement. On Wednesday night, I made my herb butter with the help of a newly purchased mortar and and pestle (a quick shopping trip to Le Gourmet Chef always cheers me up!)

While my prep time was important, if the bird didn't act cook properly my uncertainty about getting the bird ready wouldn't matter. The BIG DAY started late morning yesterday with pre-heating a high oven.The last technique I was on the fence about putting the bird in a bag to cook. My two biggest worries about the bird could really be rolled up into one: dry bird. I wanted the bird to stay moist throughout its cooking time and I wanted fantastic skin on the bird.

One technique that executed VERY WELL for me (but not my arm) was flipping I mean rotating the bird during the first two hours. I was uncertain if simply having two large forks on either end of the bird could give me enough control to rotate the bird. At this moment, I went to my sometimes used kitchen tools drawer and pulled out a clean pair of white Playtex cleaning gloves. The last time I used them was when I badly cut my finger last year and needed to keep cooking. I wish my guy had taken a picture of my putting on these gloves and using it to rotate the bird. The only problem I encountered was getting too close to the pan with the back of my arm. OUCH! That was the sign it was time for a break. I gladly sat down with a ice pack and a Downton Abbey marathon on TV.

About 90 minutes before my guests  arrived, my bird was DONE. Opps I think that cooking at the higher temp in the beginning- to make a great skin- backfired since I now finished TOO EARLY. I was alone at this point as my guy was out picking up one of our guests. I quickly moved the bird to a smaller pan, turned down the oven to warm and tented it.

By the time my guests arrived and my mom and I got the rest of the side dishes warmed up (yes I also made five side dishes during the cooking process), I was honestly too exhausted to eat much! This is very typical for me when I cook a large meal for people. I focus so much energy in my execution that I rarely have the appetite to actually eat my own food! Friends have teased me about that tendency in the past but it really drove home for me yesterday afternoon when I couldn't wait to put my feet up!

No comments: