Sunday, January 20, 2008

If I Read One More "How We Met" Article...

Okay so this is my own fault. Valentine's Day is just around the corner so of course all the singles advice pages have a article collecting stories of how people who are now married first met. There is QUITE a disparity of story frames depending on what the website's demographic is. For example, I usually read MSN and iVillage. Just the mix it up, this morning I added Today's Chistian Woman.

On the secular sites, the stories seem more realtistic to my lifestyle, meeting someone at a coffee shop, a party, work, and the comfortably established online arena. All of these scenarios have actually yielded me dates. For TCW, all these women were praying for husbands at the age of 19 while at college (aka women looking for a Mrs. degree). After I saw my sister's dating experience at Christian college crash and burn (there's a reason his nickname's now Wanker) the night of our parent's 25th wedding anniversary party, I KNEW not only would I not attend Christian college, I certainly not go to college to husband hunt.

Now six years and one Master's degree out of university, I'm having second thoughts about my militant stance on not dating in college. I did attend IV in college and was in a great chicka Bible Study. But none of the guys at IV were all that interesting. Most of the single ones were getting ready to attend seminary and were definitely not my type. I didn't try put myself in a position to get asked out by any of the other single Christian guys in college, so it never happened.

Now I'm reaching my late twenties and now I want what I can't have. The church I currently attend has zero single guys, actually there's about a half dozen single women in my age group. I did join this church fully knowing that good Bible preaching and service opportunities are more important than having any selection of male peers in my demographic.

While I forget sometimes that I know God wants me at this church and I'm grateful for the Christian guy friends I do have in my life, it's just really hard sometimes. I really don't need any more guy friends in my life, I think it's really warping my perception of what my expectations should be. What I mean, is I'm so used to being treated like a friend who's a girl that I can't always switch into date mode when I'm out with a guy. Hence my last date faux pas I mentioned in my previous post and my discussion of lowered expectations.

I think I just need to be with a Christian guy who's not afraid to say "Maggie, I'm not the perfect man, but please give me a real chance to take care of you. And for goodness sake's would you slow down so I can at least hold your hand!"

No comments: